Tuesday, September 25, 2007

HW 11: Applying Graff, Chapter 6 to "Making Global Voices"

For this assignment I chose to view the blog Isaac Mao Continues to Blog , the website being http://isaacmao.com/meta/. While I spent time viewing the blog, I made some observations that the interview with MackKinnon had stated. He is a Chinese blogger that is very well known outside of China because his blogs are scripted both in English and Chinese. On his site, he mostly talks about controversies and issues that are going on in China. His last post was made on September seventh of this year, and he was talking about the World Economy Forum. As I was reading this I noticed that there was a lot of grammar mistakes and a lot of his wording was very weird. The presentation of the blog was very plain and boring. The background was a simple white along with the simplicity of black lettering. The only eye-catching thing about his site was the yellow heading, other than that it was not catchy to me.
Rebecca had mentioned some interesting things about Isaac's posts during her interview. She mentioned that the rules for blogging in China are very strict, if someone sets up an account on Mao's blog they must be careful of what they write. Their post may not be submitted due to word usage, considering that many people have gone to jail in China for disruptive displays on their blogs. Rebecca's perspective on this blog allowed me to agree with her. She had mentioned that Mao's site had been temporarily shut down for a little while, because he was documenting the Great Chinese Firewall and stated how he personally thought it worked. Apparently he had revealed to much correct information about the system (unknowingly) and was in trouble with the government. He allows people to view important information on his site and he needs to be careful about it. The way that this blog was portrayed in the book, to my understanding was correct. She had portrayed this blog to be important and that is the perspective I gathered from it.
Some people may disagree with my argument and it may look a little like this... Although all people do not think that Mao's blog is important , some of them may dispute my claim that a few things that he states may be valuable to some people.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Yes, Mao is an important blogger, and it's good you took time to learn more about his site.
I'm not sure if I'd characterize his information about the Great Chinese Firewall as done unknowingly.