Sunday, October 28, 2007

HW 24: Do you have a room of your own?

Reading chapter five and six of A room of One's Own, women and history have come a long way. Women are now able to write the same amount of books as men, and are not limited on what to write about. Women have the ability to speak open mindedly about anything they desire, just as well as men. The over empowerment that men had towards women, made women become stronger over the decades. This made women come to conclusion that expressing their thoughts in writing become as powerful. It is said in chapter five ""If she has a room to herself,of which I am not sure; if she has five hundred a year of her own- but that remains to be proved-then I think something of a great importance has happened" (Woolf, 84). It is stating that if a woman has a room to think and write in, than many significant things will happen in the production of writing. Mary Carmichael had a theory that each persons mind has a bit of male and female elements within it. " Made me also ask whether there are two sexes in the mind corresponding to the two sexes in the body, and whether they also require to be united in order to get complete satisfaction and happiness" (Woolf, 98). Maybe men and women do have the same elements within, and that is why over time it has come to realization that they should be viewed as equal. Since this book has been published, sexism has improved greatly. People are now understanding and accepting the fact that both males and females have their advantages and disadvantages. They have realized that there are things that men are capable of that females aren't and vice versa.
Having a room of your own is a place to get away and take a mind vacation and be able to think endlessly about the possibilities. I have a room of my own, and it is my dorm. When I sit in front of the computer and write my blogs, it allows me to forget about the real world and become closer with myself. Having my own "room" to be able to think (an write) unanswered thoughts is awesome. I have my own space to think whatever I want.

No comments: